This is an important event in history, especially Canadian and feminist history. So I’m going to tell you more about it.
1) The shooter had been rejected from Ecole Polytechnique prior to the shooting. He blamed this on these female students, claiming that they were feminists who ruined his life.
2) In the first classroom he entered, he demanded the men leave before shooting at the women. No man attempted to stop him as they left. Take that as you will. (Later on, several men did get injured trying to stop him in the hallways.)
3) In his suicide letter, he believed that feminists were attempting to be more powerful than men, and were trying to take men’s rights away.
4) Feminists were actually blamed by some for the massacre. The line of logic was “if feminists didn’t make women’s rights an issue, Levine wouldn’t have wanted to kill feminists!” Victim blaming at its finest.
5) The mainstream news media often did not publicize the outrage from women’s groups, and often preferred those who took a calm approach. Ironic, that.
6) Despite him literally having a hit list of feminist icons in his final letter, several newscasters questioned whether or not the shooting was a sexist act, some even denying the idea outright.
8) Many memorials for the victims have been created, and rightly so; however, some prominent ones were erected in poor neighbourhoods where many Native women were killed every day in the same time period as the shooting (see: Marker of Change, Vancouver) (see: Missing Women, Vancouver). Basically, white feminism happened.
The entire event was nothing short of a tragedy, and I recommend that everyone read up on it and the resulting aftermath. It’s… interesting to see how the media tried to turn it into a random act of psychopathy instead of what it was (we know better now, luckily). The reactions (memorials, etc) to the deaths of these 14 White, middle class women as compared to the deaths of 60+ Native, lower class women are also “interesting” to compare. (By interesting, I mean infuriating.)
Interesting to note - his suicide note listed 19 feminists he wished he had also killed. He wrote:
So people who say “kill all radfems,” that’s quite some company you keep.
white dudes need to chill
dont give canadians money
U don’t understand this shit is waterproof and it’s amazing
ALSO IF YOU SCRATCH THE CLEAR MAPLE LEAVES THEY SMELL LIKE MAPLE SYRUP.
is canada even real
the whole country is a fucking theme park
why cant america have colorful waterproof money!?
I suggest all females watch this.
*i suggest all humans watch this.
THIS SHOULD BE REQUIRED WATCHING FOR ALL HUMANS
I’m a 17 year old white guy living in middle class America. I’ve never exactly been a supporter of feminism because that kind of thing has never really affected me personally. I don’t notice it and I don’t care about it. But in nine minutes this video has made what is truly a serious problem extremely apparent. Those “why I need feminism” posts or those slut-shaming or rape culture campaigns never convince me of anything. But this video actually did I think.
tl;dr This video kicks ass, just watch it.
do you ever just wonder if there’s someone who secretly thinks about you and wants to talk to you but doesn’t know how
prude - a woman who won’t fuck you
dyke - a woman who won’t fuck you because you have a penis
slut - a woman who fucks other people and not you
tease - a woman who won’t fuck you even though she smiled at you
feminist - a woman who won’t fuck you because she has, like, thoughts and stuff